Every summer it is surprising how many folks get the flu or chest infections. These First Aid Kit (print out available here) ideas will help keep your patients healthy when they are camping, flying or eating too much fast foods during the summer.
- Trauma: Arnica 30-200ch: This homeopathic remedy should be in everyone’s First Aid kit to speed up the healing of any trauma whether emotional or physical. For any head trauma, bruise or bite. The 30ch is better suited for children up to the age of 12. 200ch or stronger is only found in your office. Encourage your patients to keep these in their car and their purses. I also use it after any surgery or dental work. Dose 3-6 times per day. Other homeopathics to consider include Apis 30ch for bee stings and Rhus tox 30-200ch for over used muscles after hiking etc.
- Traveller’s Diarrhea: Okoubasan: Pleo Oku is the best remedy I have found to travellers diarrhea. Available from Biomed. Easy to take on plane trips when heading to third world countries. Klaire Labs Ther-Biotic Complete probiotics when taken daily prevent digestive upsets and ABx Support if antibiotics are required. Digest Forte is a great digestive aid for gas, bloating, heart burn, and nausea. Great for travellers eating a foreign diet as well as those who have poor digestion and poor appetite.
- Constipation: This is often a complaint when travelling. Have Cascara on hand and dose 2-4 at bedtime for adults and for children 6-12 years of age dose 1-2 at bedtime. Magnesium glycinate (Siganture) is a favourite of mine and great for muscular aches and pains too. Dose to bowel tolerance.
- Bacterial or Viral Infections: HTSF Influenza form Homeodel is my favourite homoepathic remedy to have on hand at the first sign of anything. I dose it 6 times per day. In addition Echinacea Premium or Andrographis dosed at 3-6 times per day acutely will often stop infections in their tracts. Teach your patients how to avoid using antibiotics using these simple remedies. The catch is dosing high and at the start of any infections.
- Allergies and sinusitis: Quercitin dosed at 8 per day and Sinus Forte dosed at 6 per day acutely can help avoid OTC antihistamines.
- Musculoskeletal sprains and strains: BCQ is my number one alternate to advil. I use up to 12 per day in divided doses and warn patients that it can loosen the bowel. I suggest keeping 3-6 in their pocket for a quick grab during the day. Also try Boswellia Complex 4 per day. Take these on every sports trip. For those prone to chronic pain due to arthritis and rheumatism taken routinely at 4-6 per day may be very helpful. Topical magnesium supplied by Ancient Minerals is a wonderful tool at your disposal. Patients cannot find these in the usual markets so provide these in your clinic. Magnesium oil for the bath or massage, magnesium lotions and magnesium salts for baths are all wonderful ways to absorb magnesium through the skin. The typical inexpensive Epsom salts are not pure and don’t have a measurable amount of magnesium. For fun grind up the magnesium salts in the Nutribullet and add your favourite essential oils for therapeutic home spa bath!
- Urinary tract infections: Cranberry Complex is a must for those prone to UTI’s. Take up to 8 per day in divided doses to treat acutely.
- Fun popsicles: For kids try making a smoothie of Greens First and Dream Protein powders and make them into popsicles. Nummy!
- Sports Training: I have a colleague who uses Greens First regularly and she finds that her stamina for sports is greatly improved. Add BCQ or Boswellia Complex to this routine as well and keep Arnica and Rhus tox on hand too!
- Acute Insomnia: Valerian Complex: for those not sensitive to valerian this is a wonderful combination as a sleep aid. St. John’s Wort is contraindicated in the summer because it causes sun sensitivity, but I use it October to April. Nevaton provides a lower dosage of St. John’s wort so may be well tolerated for insomnia. Kava is also great for acute anxiety and insomnia. Topical Magnesium Lotion with Melatonin is a gentle way to ease muscle aches and pains that can interfere with sleep. Great for kids too!
Have a great summer!