I recently heard on the CBC radio an interesting interview with Dr. Antoine Hakim on his recent book: “Save Your Mind” Seven Rules to Avoid Dementia.” Five hundred thousand Canadians suffer from dementia and Dr. Hakim reviews seven scientific approaches to preventing it. He did not mention any nutritional prevention but Dr. Bredesen in his studies offers the MEND protocol. This is a protocol I have used in my practice over the years that any brain conditions may benefit from: Concussion and brain injury, PTSD, dementia and early symptoms of Alzheimer’s Disease and the treatment of Brain Tumors. When I give this kind of protocol I encourage the patient that they are also supporting the health of their gut and their heart and also preventing cancer. Here are one and two of my ‘Wisdom Notes’ outlining my protocols.
- Exercise is number one and Dr. Hakim talks about the importance of exercising every day to the point of getting out of breath. This stimulates a production of BDNF (Brain-Derived Neurotrophic Factor) which protects and repairs memory neurons.
- Diet: A low glycemic diet prevents insulin resistance and inflammation of the brain. Gymnema or Berberine 500mg (Thorne) can be used to help with sugar cravings and maintains healthy blood glucose levels tp HgA1c below 5.5.
- Sleep: 8 hours of sleep per night is generally accepted as the normal requirement for most people. I use a lot of melatonin (dosage can be easily adjusted). Kava Forte can be used to treat anxiety interfering with sleep, but treating the adrenal glands is always the core treatment. I love Eleutherococcus senticosus (Siberian Ginseng and Withania) in the liquid form and will combine it with other adaptogens to make up an adrenal formula. My liquid herbal female adrenal tonic contains: Withania, Astragalus, Siberian Ginseng, Reishi, Shativari, and Rehmannia. My male adrenal tonic contains Panex ginseng, Withania and Astragalus. It is important to avoid licorice in patients with high blood pressure, which is a risk factor for dementia.
- B12 5mg and folate as 5MTHFR to keep homocysteine levels below 7. Vessel Care (Metagenics) 2 in am, and chewable methylcobalmine form of B12 (AOR).
- Reducing inflammation and amyloid plaque: Curcumin and Withania. My favorite form of Curcumin is BCQ (Vital Nutrients) as it also contains Boswellia or Boswellia Complex which crosses the blood brain barrier to reduce the size of brain tumors. I dose it quite high 6 or more in divided doses throughout the day and watching for loosening of the bowels. Vitamin E containing mixed tocopherols (Ultimate E Thorne) one per day.
- Hormone balance: to include regulating the thyroid, cortisol levels and other hormones such as estrogen, progesterone and testosterone. For stress control in PTSD and depression: Rhodiola and Ginseng and St John’s Wort. A reminder that St. John’s wort causes photo sensitivity so not to be used in the summer months and it also interferes with liver clearance of many prescription drugs. St. John’s wort tablets are high in hyperforin NOT found in the tincture.
- Digestive health: The GI is the second brain. Avoiding gluten and using probiotics is imperative. Ther-Biotic Complete from Klaire Labs can help lower ammonia which is harmful for the brain and implicated in hepatic encephalopathy.
- Cognitive enhancement: Bacopa contains Siberian Ginseng as well as Rosemary. Kerry Bone is known to take 9 Ginkgo per day when he is travelling and lecturing to help with cognition as well as jet lag. I print out this Ginkgo monograph for my patients to show how it is a tonic used for the prevention of many diseases: Macular degeneration, MS, circulation to the extremities as well as to the brain, mood regulation and tinnitus to mention a few. Lions Mane has also been shown to help in neurodegenerative conditions including MS, dementia and neuropathies. It crosses the blood brain barrier to increase myelination.
- Blood pressure control: Kerry Bone outlines the importance of the microcirculation and endothelial health for many health conditions including the brain. He mentions ginkgo, garlic, green tea, bilberry, blueberry, and grapeseed extract. Vitanox is an excellent antioxidant blend providing many of these herbs. I also love using Hawthorne tincture to lower blood pressure. This is another beautiful herb full of bioflavonoids with broad benefits.
- Essential fatty acids: make sure the dosage is 3000mg per day of EPA and DHA to provide blood thinning effects as well as brain support: Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega 3 per day.
Recommended Reading: Karen Jensen, ND Three Brains: How the Heart, Brain, and Gut Influence Mental Health and Identity by Karen Jensen, ND / Grain Brain by David Perlmutter M.D / Preventing Alzheimer’s by Dr. Shankle and Dr. Amen.
Ancient Minerals Magnesium has changed some
some of their packaging and container sizing.
New sizes and prices available and ready for purchase.
(Go here to see new images and prices)
*to see wholesale pricing, log into your professional account.
With the guidance of Dr. McKinney’s “Naturopathic Oncology” you can help your patients on their journey. Cancer patients have better outcomes if they are involved with their care plans, so you will want to give them free choices. The following are from my personal experience in practice. You want to educate your patients on:
A – If they are diagnosed with a cancer we can provide protocols to use during chemotherapy and radiation.
B – We provide “Five to Thrive” education and therapies to prevent cancers from recurring.
C – We provide simple tools for preventing cancers now
For the Cancer Diagnosis the following are recommendations based on my knowledge from Dr. Neil McKinney. He offers courses on his book and will provide you with the latest updates and many additional handouts. I give my cancer patients a “Cancer Folder” with information on the following items for their further research including information on www.InspireHealth.ca and relaxation techniques:
- Astragalus combinations have been used for centuries as a tonic for many illnesses. Dr. Neil McKinney in his cancer therapies courses recommends this for support during radiation and some chemotherapy. Dosages of Astragalus complex are high during these times and sustained for 3-6 months then a drug holiday is taken. This herb will help your patient with well -being and vitality.
- Withania (Ashwaghanda) : Over the years I have used this tincture in combination with astragalus, codonopsis, reishi, shiitake, ligustrum and schisandra as a tonic pre and post treatment. I always use the Mediherb Withania!
- Pectasol is recommended for most cancer cell lines as it prevents cancer from spreading. Seeing the research that Dr. Isaac Eliaz has done with certain cancer types I use this with any cancer diagnosis for a period of one year. I dose it TID for the first several months or even one year especially if there has been a surgery involved. Once the patients have passed the one – year mark then I recommend once daily dosing. This is a good time to remind your patients that Pectasol also lowers the toxicity of the body by lowering heavy metals levels and in this way is also preventive. At lower long term dosages the cost is reasonable.
- During a cancer therapy I always recommend Greens First with a protein powder such as Dream Protein. Patients have poor appetites and weight loss during treatment so encouraging patients to come up with a smoothie recipe that will work for them during this time is very important. The use of SON (dosed high) is specifically used for cachexia and should be considered if your patient will not do the smoothies.
- Medicinal Mushrooms are always part of my cancer protocols. Chaga for prostate and Coriolus for many others including breast. These are dosed high during active treatment and are often safe with chemo and radiation.
- BCQ is a long -time favorite of mine for most cancer therapies. I dose it as high as 12 per day to act as an anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer therapy. Dr. McKinney uses Can-Arrest. At high doses BCQ can loosen the bowel so warn your patients.
- Additional therapies I don’t have experience with include Honokiol and Padma 28.
I always emphasize to my patients to follow my anti-cancer protocol for one year post treatment to prevent cancers from recurring. We have all heard “we’ve got it all ….you are cancer free” only to have the cancer recur in the too near future. Encourage your patients to be proactive.
- Five to Thrive based on the book by: Lise Alschuler and Karolyn Gazella. The principles of prevention of cancer include immune support (Vitanox, Echinacea and NK cells and Astragalus complex, 5 Mushroom Formula) , controlling inflammation, (BCQ or Boswellia Complex) helping the body detoxify (Silymarin and Nrf2 pathway), regulate hormones of stress (Rhodiola and Ginseng) and control insulin resistance (Gymnema).
- I want to make sure patients vitamin D levels are optimized so I will measure this in the blood to get them to the 150nmol/l levels.
- See the patient in one year to review their maintenance program with you!
Prevention of cancer in the first place is multifactorial. I recommend the following:
- Regular detoxifying programs (see Pincott’s Perspective January 2017)
- Helping the body keep inflammation low by using remedies such as BCQ and Greens First.
- Optimizing NrF2 pathways making sure cruciferous vegetables, garlic, turmeric and green tea are part of the diet. Using herbs such as milk thistle, resveratrol and ginkgo are beneficial. (ie Vitanox and Greens First).
Fish oils, vitamin D and probiotics are also part of my “Foundation for Health” for cancer prevention.
(April is Daffodil Month or Cancer Awareness Month across Canada. There are huge donation dollars supporting websites such as www.cancer.ca and some useful information there for your patients. For example I was surprised they do have a link to Artificial Hormones and discuss the issue of hormone mimicking that causes cancer, implicating birth control pills!)
Our patients prayers have been answered in the form of Greens Pro Chocolate!
Sign into your online account to view the list of ingredients.
(We are expecting samples to arrive soon.)
Contact us if you want to try or order!
TESTIMONIAL BY DR MARNIE WACHTLER ND
I was so excited in anticipation of ProMedics bringing in Klaire Labs’ products. I have been using these specialized probiotic products for about 10 years. They have always been the best quality of probiotics of anywhere I have seen. Klaire Labs carry specialized formula’s to cater to any gastro intestinal issue you may need to treat. The side effects of stale and non -refrigerated probiotics can be one issue in clinic that never needs to be considered with these probiotics. My favourite formula is the Ther-biotic Complete that treats very well the following list of ailments:
- Support during antibiotic therapy
- Antagonizes rotaviru
- Antagonizes C Diff.
- Adjunctive support in ulcerative colitis
- Urinary tract support
- Vaginal microflora support
- Adjunctive in IBS
- Treats bowel regularity
- Supports cholesterol metabolism
I am so excited to have these formula’s at the tip of my fingers and accessible from Promedics. Dr.Marnie Wachtler ND email@example.com
This is the time of year that you start seeing patients with seasonal allergies as well as year round allergies. Over the years I have had good success with these patients using the following approach.
Identify food allergens and sensitivities and help the patient make dietary changes. This will lower their overall allergen load so they can handle their environmental allergens easier. I suggest avoiding their food sensitivities for 2 months then do a retest as some foods can be added back. I also look at their blood type dietas a long term recommendation. I also offer my patients a list of some of the new foods on the market that I have noticed (link in original email) You can also point your patients to my recipe book on my website www.drpincott.com. Giving patients the tools for diet changes will create more success for them.
Treat the Yeast: If you have a testing method such as Electrodermal (EAV) type testing always check for dysbiosis or a fungal load. Many of these patients test positive for yeast overgrowth and putting them on a candida program for 2 months is very helpful. Here is my candida program that I have used for 30 plus years. (Dr. Pincott’s candida protocol). I am convinced the reason Citridical caps plus has worked so well over the years is the active ingredient of Artemisia is also very good for SIBO. SIBO was not a medical diagnosis 30 years ago but I think this candida program has worked very well as a SIBO protocol for me for many years if the SIBO case was not severe. The Mediherb Garlic does not cause a burp back and is tolerated very well. The probiotic of your choice to given at a different time of day than the garlic and Citricidal Caps plus is important. The preferred fiber I recommend now is ground flax.
Support the Immune System: I have recommended daily Echinacea Premium containing the roots of both angustifolia and purpurea (high in alkylamides) for years ever since Kerry Bone talked about it. He also reminded us that Echinacea increased NK cells so I tell my patients it is anti-cancer. Because it does not contain any flower parts there is no harm taking it daily. Most of my patients are also taking 3000mg of EPA, DHA fish oils and 4000IU’s Vitamin D (measure 25(OH) to levels of 150nmol/L) and probiotics. If you want to consider deep immune support consider Astragalus Complex alternating with Rhodiola and Ginseng or JHS Reishi mushroom all year long. Reishi provides triterpines which down regulate TNF Alpha and NF-kB, and beta glucans which provide immune support. Reishi oxygenates the blood and two other main actions are hepatic and cardiovascular support. Alternating could be changing it out every 3 months. It also means that patients can take supplement holidays on the weekends. See Dr. Bryn Hyndman’s patient handout.
Support the sinuses: Most patients are looking for treatment of sinus congestion so find a formula that works for you and dose it high enough for efficacy. Over the years I have used Nazonal from Metagenics, but Sinus forte is a good choice because it contains Echinacea purpura, the hard to get Goldenseal, Eyebright and Goldenrod the latter three especially good for maintaining healthy mucous secretions in the nasal passages. Acute dosing is 2 tablets BID or TID, chronic or prophylactic dosage is 1 tablet TID. Andrographis Complex can also be considered for short term treatment of upper respiratory infections and sinusitis.
Natural anti-histamines: Most patients don’t know that Vitamin C is high in anti-histamine and so is quercetin. I dose both very high, Vitamin C to bowel tolerance and quericitin at 4000mg per day. Vital Nutrients Aller C could be dosed up to 10 per day. I have patients put these in their pocket and take 3 at a time when they need an anti-histamine effect during the day. If patients dose Aller C all year long at 2-3 per day they lower their symptoms the following year.
Adrenal support: Vitamin C is a basic adrenal remedy that can be used all year long, but Astragalus Complex and Rhodiola and Ginseng is highly recommended during the allergy season and all year long also alternating. My other favorite adrenal remedy from Physica is ADR as it has a high Adrenal tissue dosage that I alternate with other adaptogenic herbs.
Detoxification / Twice per Year: See our January 2017 Newsletter for detoxification ideas to recommend to your patients twice yearly. Remind them that all the hard work they do this year will prevent allergies next year and the added value to their health includes preventing colds and flus, cancer, stress and slows aging.
Dr Bryn Hyndman MD created this ‘Boost your Immune System’ hand out for patients at her clinic, featuring MediHerb’s Andrographis.
Take a look 🙂